Sunday, April 3, 2011

Liner in running shorts

I've written about running shorts before. This is for people who are wondering "what is the lining in running shorts for."

I'm not a shorts designer, but I've been wearing running shorts since they only came in two cuts - short shorts with a hip-high slit and mid-thigh. So here's the quick and dirty on why running shorts need a liner:
  1. Wicking fabric - most liners are made of a light-weight material that will help remove moisture from regions that can get pretty hot and sweaty during a run.
  2. Save your underwear - lacy underthings and boxers were not made for the abuse of exercise. A liner does all the work of underwear, saving you from having to answer the question "Boxers or briefs?" before every run.
  3. No chafing - if you've ever worn a thong or thick cotton briefs on a 12-mile run, you know why there's a liner in good running shorts. Regular underwear can rub in all the wrong places and, over time, leave a mark.
I know, if worn by themselves, running short liners would be the world's ugliest grandma panties. When built into shorts, the degree to which they make a run more comfortable makes them one of the sexiest things on Earth.

My reco? Only buy running shorts that have a liner and, for those of you who've asked, no, don't cut the liner out. Save your tush, your underwear and your laundry pile.

Happy trails!

10 comments:

  1. I just stumbled upon this blog while searching for "what to wear in x degree weather." What a great idea! I'm from Florida but have found myself in a much more varied climate, and now I have no idea what to do with myself when it dips below 70F. I'm definitely glad for the help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah Kate, so after a year of running in lots of temps, are you adjusted? I know I'm often surprised at how temps that seem really different can require the same outfit, depending on the humidity. Happy trails!

      Delete
  2. Thank You!! I like my new runningshorts and I LOVE the liner!!


    Kina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kina, hope you're still liking your shorts. What brand are you rocking?

      Delete
    2. Hi Serene!


      Thank you for your advices. I now use the (Danish) New Line runningshorts (I can send a pic??). After reading your advices, I found these in a runningstore for women in Copenhagen. In Sweden it is extremely difficult to find other shorts than Nike. These shorts were realized out because New Line switches to mostly black shorts with a strange inner liner in a mesh material that I did not think was good or female. I bought all three shorts that were left and very happy about this. The shorts are dark blue with a lighter blue stripe on the edge. They are full slotted in the side. The clerk at the store said you can sew the slotter if you use them for workout or bike in them and are afraid to show the liner. This liner was also the big surprise in the New Line. It is made of CoolMax, but looks like white silky nylon (very female). The liner fits like a dream and I love them fot both running and biking. I have not sewn them together (but let them flutter). Should I??? This feels more comfortable...


      Kina

      Delete
    3. Hi Kina, The shorts sound really nice! If they were made to flutter and you like it, I wouldn't sew them - let them flutter and feel your speed :-)
      By the way, I am going to Copenhagen next month. Any place special that you recommend for a run?
      Happy running (and biking) Serene

      Delete
    4. Dear Serene!

      Hi again! When running in Copenhagen I usually run along the Langelinie with a good view of the cruise ships (another type of liner - is that funny also in american??)

      I still like my New Line shorts - now in the workout season. Have you ever tried shorts with this kind of pure nylon liner?? I can ensure you that is is like a dream. Comfortable and breathable when training super hard..


      Kina

      Delete
    5. I love nylon liners!!!!

      So soft and silky!


      Carina

      Delete
  3. I never knew if I should wear underwear under the liner or what....now I know, and I just might go buy them. I don't run but 4 miles at a time. Didn't know if it would be made for that short of a distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, if you're running about 4 miles at a time, I definitely recommend good running shorts with a liner. As a real runner, you deserve real running shorts :-). Happy trails

      Delete