Monday, June 7, 2010

Running Posture

I'm afraid that, if I don't work on my posture, I'll end up being one of those old ladies on the path who you admire because they're running even though they're 82, but who can't see you coming because they are so hunched over.

I realized this was a possibility after seeing a photo of me running. My trap muscles are up by my ears. I look like I've been doing a lot of press ups, but really, it's because I'm hunching.

Check it out:










Here are photos of my normal run posture (left) and the posture I'm striving toward. I marked the differences. With the good posture:
  • There's a space between my shoulder and the shirt strap because my shoulder ball is rolled back, better aligning my arm.
  • You can no longer see the mole and the flat of my shoulder blade. For me to achieve good posture, I really have to use the muscles between my blades, at the center of my back, to pull down and back. It's hard work, but worth it. 
  • Pulling down my shoulder blades draws in my middle back. In the bad posture pic, you can see a bit of my shirt in the back. In the good posture picture, it has disappeared, even though my chest doesn't look thrust forward. All the effort is in my back muscles.
If you want to do a self-assessment, have a friend photograph you near the end of a race or speed work, when you're too tired to fake perfect posture. Take a good look at the image. Are we going to be colliding when we're old and hunched? Are you letting one arm drag like a broken wing? Do you lift your chin like Queen Elizabeth at a parade?

As I try to adjust, I've found I'm sore from using my muscles in a new way. Yoga is helping, and I get a massage when I have the time and money. Changing my posture feels like quitting a bad habit - I know I need to do it, but it's frustrating and painful. I just hope better posture and alignment will let me happily age as a runner.

See you on the trail!

4 comments:

  1. Ha, this is so funny but true. I know I have terrible posture, way worse than yours (btw, your posture looks great to me, even the "bad" posture photo :)). This is the best advice I have found with regard to proper running posture and how to achieve it. I find it odd that there is little or no info available on this subject, yet it is so important.

    I even signed up for a running class with NYRR, assuming they would teach us things like proper running posture and form. Well, it turned out to be a speed work class, and they teach you nada about running technique. (Why don't they just call it a "Speed Work" class?)

    Anyway, thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I could help! And, I'm glad for yoga because that's what helped me really get the difference between thrusting my shoulders back and rolling them down while lifting my chest for good posture.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    thanks for a great website! Very useful and interesting!
    I started running a year ago and have all sorts of shins and knee problems but I like what you say about posture and yoga (I re-started yoga for the 100th time this week).
    can you please explain what exercises you are doing to correct your posture whilst running?
    Thanks a million
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rita,
    I'm a mess of knee and ankle problems, too. What helps you? I do weight lifting and whole-leg strengthening exercises.
    RE: posture-correcting exercises...first, I'm not a medical pro or a yogi, so be careful. Now, the exercises that have helped my posture include Cobra (laying on my stomach and lifting my upper body using my upper- and lower-back muscles), Mountain (standing upright with stomach pulled in, hips tipped under, shoulders back and hands actively reaching down) and Push ups (girlie style). It also helps to lay on my back and have someone press on my pecs and shoulders, to really open up my chest.
    Does that help?

    ReplyDelete