Sunday, June 13, 2010

1 Outfit Fits All

I've been on the road and have had to do two runs in one running outfit.
Run 1: 60 degrees, sunshine. Hills.
Run 2: 75, sunshine, windy! 50% hill

Outfit: Under Armour t-shirt, Brooks shorts, Nike hat.

Did it work? Yes, but only because I shaved 1.5 miles off the second run.

The first run was 3.5 miles and hilly. I was a little cool when I stepped out but the immediate 1-mile climb warmed me up and by the time I was windmilling my legs down the last hill home, I was nice and sweaty.

The second run was 2 miles - an out and back of the 1-mile hill. I was comfortable as soon as I stepped out the door - never a good sign because there's nowhere to go but to hot. I stayed on the shady side of the street, which really wasn't that shady. By the time I got to the top of the hill, I could feel the sweat running down the center of my back. The return was downhill, still in partial shade and with a bit of breeze, so I returned sweaty and thirsty, but not flushed or overheated. Much longer, though, and I would have been too hot.

What would I change? I think I packed well, but on that second run, I could have just worn the sports bra and shorts.

Happy summer running!

No comments:

Post a Comment