Monday, January 11, 2010

What to wear running in 15 degrees & sunny

Temp: 26, but 'feels like' is 13, sunny
Wind: Headwind up to 20mph
Precip./Humidity: None/low
Terrain: Flat
Distance: 7 miles

What I wore: Learned my lesson from the other day. Tank sports bra; light-weight, long-sleeve tech top; wind-resistant jacket; knit hat; ski gloves; Road Runner thermo tights; thick socks.

Did it work: Yes! A little cool when I first stepped out, but was comfortable almost immediately thanks to all of my wind-proof gear.

I'm in love: In December, my hands were freezing when I wore knit gloves on windy days. Being a frugal runner, I didn't want to buy any more gear, so I dug around and found my Nike ACG ski gloves. I'm typing right now, minutes after a run, without having to wait for my hands to warm up. My ski gloves are a little bulky, but great on these cold, windy days because they are:

  • wind proof
  • long (so no drafts up my jacket sleeve or down the glove
  • lined with fleece
  • come with zip-off outer mittens that are also fleece lined, so they can be worn on their own
Today I'm going to buy some duct tape and try modifying a pair of knit gloves, just to see if they really can be made windproof and warm with that magical gray tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment