Monday, January 17, 2011

What to wear running in 45 degrees

Temp: 44-48 degrees (7-9 C)
Wind: Calm
Humidity/Precip.: Moderate/None
Terrain: Rolling hills
Distance: 4 miles

What I Wore: Dri-fit capris; Road Runner Sports light-weight, long-sleeve shirt; Asics mid-weight, long-sleeve outer layer and a fleece-lined running cap.

Did it Work: Yes, with a twist: I was running in the hills of Boise, which means 1) the altitude was kicking my behind! 2) the temperature at the foot of the hills was about 4 degrees cooler than up higher, so...
I warmed up easily but was glad to have the layers at the end of the run when the air cooled down.

Travel Tip: I visit my mom in Boise three or four times a year. It's a short flight from San Francisco and very easy, as long as I don't check luggage. A simple way to pack light is to leave a pair of running shoes at her house.
If you have a parental home or timeshare that you visit often, find an out-of-the-way place to stash a pair of running shoes. That way, you don't have to make room in your luggage for another pair of shoes and can't make excuses to not run!

Happy trails (and travels)!

No comments:

Post a Comment