Sunday, December 12, 2010

What to wear running in 55 degrees

Temp: 55 degrees
Humidity/Precip.: 95%/none
Wind: Calm
Terrain: Rolling hills
Distance: 3 miles

Before
What I Wore: Well, I started out wearing Brooks running shorts, Under Armour wicking T and Pearl Izumi running jacket. BUT, when I stepped outside, I was comfortable. Learning from past mistakes I went back in, took off the two top layers and replaced them with one - the Asics long-sleeve, wicking T from the 2007 ING NYC marathon.



After


Did It Work: Yes! It was just a little cool when I started but I was ready to push up my sleeves around mile 2. Thanks to the cool, damp air, the outfit was never too hot. Plus, on a foggy day in the Bay Area, the bright orange was just what the folks in the 'hood needed!

Race Gear: Not all race swag is good. Please don't feel like you HAVE  to wear whatever someone gives you. I didn't wear the NYC shirt for the '07 race because even the small is too big (see pic) and because it was untested - 26.2 miles is a long way to run in something you've never worn before.
For a long race, don't wear something new. And for any race, skip the cotton. As Shu's Running Store in Boise, ID, likes to say: Cotton is a tool of the devil (when it comes to running).

Happy running. Hope to see you on the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment