Saturday, May 15, 2010

What to wear running in 60s

Temp: 62 degrees, sunny
Wind: Calm
Precip./Humidity: None/Moderate
Terrain: Rolling Hills
Distance: 4 miles

What I Wore: Some of my favorite Nike pieces - heavy-weight, sleeveless top; lined running shorts; hat; spf 30 sunblock (Coppertone, not Nike!).

Did It Work: Yes, on two levels. First, I'm recovering from a cold, so I knew I'd be tempted to be a little lazy and walk. I deliberately wore slightly less than I might at this temperature to keep myself moving. Second, I love this outfit because it is super comfortable and cute (if I'm allowed to say so). The top is much thicker than most of my running shirts, so it's a great core piece in the winter and a nice transition piece in the spring.

To The Extreme! I do not recommend seriously under- or over-dressing. Wearing a sleeveless or long-sleeve shirt instead of a t-shirt isn't going to make that much of a difference at this temperature. However, wearing just a sports bra and shorts (or, for guys, just shorts) in this weather might leave you so cold, your muscles don't properly warm up. At the other end of the spectrum, piling on the layers will just make you sweat, a.k.a. dehydrate. You might come home exhausted and weighing less, but mostly you will have lost water weight and, I'm sorry to say, that doesn't count!

Happy running!

Oh, and special thanks to today's photographer, Dana Underwood (http://photorious.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment