Friday, March 19, 2010

Know Limits (70, sunny)

It is a gorgeous day. Sunny, light breeze, 70 degrees. Horrible for running.

I had scheduled 10 miles. I am WAY behind on my training for the 13.1 in NYC on April 3, so I really wanted to get in a double-digit run.

You'll notice, maybe, that this posting has no photo. That's because, while I completed my 10 miles, it was hard. Much harder than the 9 miles of hills I did last weekend. The way was flat, the day was lovely, and I was sucking wind.

Some runs are just like that. It doesn't matter how well dressed you are (brimmed hat, Nike dri-fit shorts and t-shirt) or if you ate pasta the night before (it was delicious). Some runs are just hard. For me, when a run is so hard it feels like my legs are made of steel and the sidewalk is a magnet, all I can do is finish.

Today, I finished, barely.

Afterwards, I took a nap. When I woke up, I drank a little juice. 10 minutes later, I saw that juice again, going the other way. It's just one of those days, physically.

Until next week, good luck to everyone running half and full marathons this weekend!