Sunday, October 10, 2010

Running with a heart rate monitor

I have a new bad habit: checking my heart rate.
I never used to do this. I thought it was because I didn't care. It turns out it's just because I didn't have the gear.
When I wear it, nothing else matters. Distance? Who knows. Temperature? Not sure. Heart rate? Ranged from 111 to 165 over 45 minutes.

Does it work? Yes. Wearing the monitor keeps me going until it says I've accomplished the goal that it had in mind. Forget what I had planned on doing; it has a will of its own and it is greater than mine. It beeps if my heart rate is too slow or too fast ("Get going!" "Ease up!") and logs how long I have my heart rate at the desired level. When I have had done enough, in its mind, it beeps again ("Great workout!"). It doesn't matter where I am or that I had planned on taking a long, strenous walk, the monitor says I'm done, so I mosey home.
I love it. Which is why, for my next run/walk (still recovering from Achilles tendonitis), I'm leaving my new toy at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment