Sunday, February 21, 2010

What to wear running in 40 degrees (aka: Warm winter run)

Temp: 40 degrees, sunny
Precip./Humidity: None, moderate
Wind: 10 mph
Terrain: Rolling to flat
Distance: 6.5 miles

What I Wore: Compression tights; one light-weight wicking top and one mid-weight wicking top with a 1/4 zip; knit hat and gloves.

Did It Work: Yes! Even with a pretty strong headwind, I was comfortable on the outbound. Coming back, I was running into the sun with the wind at my back so it was much warmer. I took off my gloves and pushed up my hat a little to control my body temp.

Why Compression Tights?: I like compression tights when it is windy or cool out because their weave is tighter, making them warmer and more wind resistant than your basic running tight. At the same time, they aren't as hot as my lined tights, so I don't work up more of a sweat than I should. Plus, they have an inside pocket.
I have to say though, nothing is more frustrating than having an itch under compression material when you're wearing knit gloves. My fingers just slid right off the itchy spot. Argh!

Would You Trust This Man?: Today I saw a man whose advice on what to wear running I wouldn't take. The difference between what he thought worked and what I think works was too great. It was 40 degrees and windy and the man was wearing running shoes, socks and khaki shorts. That's it. No shirt, no hat, no gloves. The shorts might have been some kind of technical material but they could have been made by NASA and not been enough in this weather!
My point: if you're gonna go all out, like this guy did, at least bring a long-sleeve top with you. We never know when we might slip on the ice or twist an ankle and need to walk home. While he might have been comfy shirtless while running, that would change too drastically if he had to stop and was still outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment